Consistently showing up and putting in effort are two major keys to reaching your fitness goals! If you can’t access your gym, you’re running short on time throughout your days, or you just love working out in the comfort of your own home, there’s no reason you can’t still be accomplishing your fitness goals. With a few simple pieces of equipment at home, along with your body weight, you can get an amazing workout in.
WORKING OUT AT HOME: THE BENEFITS
- You can workout on your time. No need to work around a class at a specific time that doesn’t fit with your schedule.
- You can save a lot of time getting to and from the gym.
- Gym membership fees can be pricey. You can save money working out from home.
- Privacy and freedom to learn and try new things where you feel most comfortable.
- No need to wait for someone to finish using specific equipment that you need, and the ability to setup your space the way you need it to function best.
There are so many conveniences to working out at home, so here are a few tips to help you start off on the right foot!
HOW TO BEGIN WORKING OUT AT HOME
In order to get the most out of your workouts, make sure you have the equipment recommended, or substitutes for the time being. All you’ll need as far as space goes is the size of a yoga mat!
Getting the right equipment doesn’t need to be pricey, and as mentioned above, there are always things around the house that can be used instead (a heavy water bottle, laundry detergent bottle, canned food, etc) if you need to start with that!
I recommend starting with:
- A set of dumbbells:
Start with 5lbs. and 8 lbs or 10lbs. You’ll want to get heavier weights as the workouts get easier for you.
- Two long resistance bands:
Around 2-15lb. and 20-35lb.
- Short resistance bands:
I use “Heavy” resistance (they usually come in a pack of different weights)
- A pair of ankle weights: 1.5-3 lbs.
- Workout bench
- A workout/yoga mat
Some of the best places to look for workout equipment are Amazon, Target, Walmart, and second hand pieces that you might find online! You can also try googling what you need and see what comes up in the top “shopping section”. You can also head to the “equipment” page here to see what I recommend and find links to shop.
CREATE A WORKOUT SCHEDULE
Just like you’d schedule going to the gym, making a workout schedule for home will help guarantee that you’ll show up and stay consistent!
When you’re making your weekly or daily schedule, plan for your workout by:
- Plan the days, times and location that you’re going to workout. Yes, location. Plan a designated spot for your workouts! Having a set location will help you show up more consistently. Is it the living room? The bedroom? Basement? Garage? Take your workout equipment there, find a tall basket, and store all of your equipment in there so it’s ready to go.
- If you have kids: Are there any activities that could occupy the kids while you’re exercising? If they take naps, can you squeeze your workout in then?
- Lay out your workout clothes, equipment, water bottle and towel the night before. It’s one less thing to think about!
- Have a reward ready for the end of the week or month. There are so many rewards you can use to keep yourself motivated. When your mind associates working out with rewards, it teaches your brain that it’s a fun/good thing and you’ll want to keep doing it! How about new workout leggings? Shoes? A massage? Pedicure? See a movie? A facial?
JOIN THE ONLINE COMMUNITY
Did you know that groups of people with a common goal reach their goals easier and faster? More than a program, The LM Method is a worldwide network of women committed to changing their health & fitness story for good.
It’s not about perfection, but rather learning, exploring, and growing. Doing your best is the goal, but having grace for yourself matters a ton. There’s no judgment here – only honesty, empathy, and a huge squad cheering for you.
Meet a new friend inside the The LM Method community. I’ve seen so many women connect with each other and become virtual workout buddies who text and call each other to keep their momentum going! Everyone is so kind and supportive. Come join us and get sisterhood support like no other.
TAKE PHOTOS FOR PROGRESS CHECK-INS
While I believe that the most beneficial aspect of nutrition, fitnesss and wellness happens on the inside, I also know that in order to keep motivation going and reach goals, keeping track of your progress can be SO encouraging and motivating!
Scales aren’t an accurate way of tracking progress. In fact, I recommend you get rid of it altogether. Photos are the best way to see just how far you’ve come. For example, you can actually start to see see muscle tone in a photo. And being that muscle weighs more than fat, it’s one more reason to get rid of the scale!
I recommend taking photos from the front, side and back every 4 weeks, like Evelyn above inside The LM Method community.
Those are my top tips! If you’re just beginning, take one day at a time and follow the examples above to reach your health and fitness goals from home!