Last week I did an Instagram Story asking what your beauty questions were so that I could work on answering them through a Q&A on the blog, so this is Part 1 of answering your questions! Part 2 will be coming out next week on the blog, so stay tuned. Without further ado…
Beauty Q&A: Part 1
- Do you use any self tanners? If so, what are you favorite brands? I haven’t experienced winters in California yet, so I’m not sure if I’ll have to this year, but in the past while living in NYC, I definitely used self tanners! I just feel like everything looks better when I have a bit of color. My makeup looks better, hair color pops a bit more, and I feel more motivated to workout because I have a healthy glow. As of right now I haven’t been using as self tanners since I’ve been in the sun quite a bit, but when I do use them, my favorites are the Loving Tan Dark Mousse and Luna Bronze. I’ve tried a few different ones from Loving Tan, and the Dark Mousse (not the 2 hr) is my favorite. I use the Loving Tan Mitt to apply the mousse then wear old, loose, dark clothes and leave it on for 6 hours before showering. I always make sure to moisturize throughout the week to make it last longer, and love this moisturizer from Luna Bronze. To remove, I always exfoliate using an exfoliating glove to make sure it comes off evenly. As for using Luna Bronze, it’s the best all natural and organic option for self tanner that I’ve found. It glides on evenly and gives a really natural color!
- How do you manage your natural hair? My curls are like yours and it’s impossible to tame! Taming my natural hair has been a mission! I feel like I finally found what works best for me though. In the shower, after shampooing & conditioning my hair, I use Living Proof “Perfect Hair Day In-Shower Styler”. I apply this from roots to end all throughout my hair, lightly rinse, then wrap my hair in the Aquis Hair Turban. The Living Proof styler adds texture to my hair, kind of like when you get out of the ocean and your hair dries with the perfect amount of sea salt to bring out those beautiful natural waves or curls. It isn’t mousse, so it doesn’t leave my hair “crunchy”, but soft and with more defined curls. The reason I use the Aquis Hair Turban is for a few reasons. Sharing their description will do it better justice than me trying to put it into my own words, so here’s what they have to say: “This hair tool won’t grab hair cuticles like a regular bath towel. The patented design wraps securely on your hair, while the specially engineered, lightweight and smooth texture is ideal for thinning, delicate and curly hair types. It works to quickly wick water away from the keratin inside your hair, bringing it from damage-prone and swollen (when it’s wet out of the shower) to an evenly damp state—ideal for styling and use of heat—without friction. It’s the ultimate primer for smooth and frizz-free hair, naturally defined curls or soft, beachy waves.” It’s truly such an amazing product. I definitely won’t ever go back to using a regular towel! After I’ve used the Living Proof Styler and Aquis hair turban, I part my hair down the middle and let it air dry. Once it’s dry, I use the T3 Curling Wand with the 1” size to and just curl a few pieces of hair at the top of my head. Then on low heat, I straighten the ends of my hair so they aren’t curly. It might sound like a lot of work, but it actually only takes me about 5 minutes to do my hair! I like to keep things low maintenance.
- What is your favorite mascara? My favorite mascara at the moment is the Better Than Sex mascara by Too Faced. You’re meant to apply to your lashes 3x to build and lift your lashes (it really works), and I love that the formula moisturizes your lashes as well. Before using that mascara, I was using the “Lights, Camera, Splashes” mascara by Tarte Cosmetics and absolutely loved that mascara as well. You don’t need to apply as many times, and builds so easily. I highly recommend both.
- Are you happy being dark brunette or do you miss being blonde? I actually had my hair colored a bit when I first got to California, so I’m not completely brunette anymore. I really don’t like blonde on me though, so if I get my hair colored, I go for really warm colors. From my own experience, it’s been tricky finding colorists who actually give me the kind of warm color I’m looking for as it usually ends up being too blonde and I look washed out, but my colorist in NYC really had the color that I wanted down. She is amazing (her name is Cassandra Cuccia if you live in NYC). And there’s no one that cuts my hair better than Marissa Martoni/Barrett. She and Cassandra work at the same salon in NYC called Marie Robinson. If you’re in NYC, I highly recommend them!
- What is your daily cleansing routine? I’m always trying new products, but right now I’m using the Joanna Vargas Vitamin C face wash in the morning and at night, followed by the Rejuvenating Serum that is an anti-aging serum that helps hydrate and tone my skin. I also use their Exfoliating Mask once a week while in the shower that helps deep clean my skin and create a beautiful glow.
- How do you create the cat-eye with eyeliner? This is a bit tricky to explain via text, but I lightly pull the skin on the corner of my eye so the skin is tight, and creates a smooth surface. I then create a triangle outline in the corner of my eye and fill it in. I then create a line that fades out towards the center of my eye so there isn’t just a triangle in the corner of my eye with nothing else haha. There are so many YouTube videos on it, so that’s all I looked up in the past to perfect mine! My favorite eye liner at the moment is by MAC called “Costa Riche” which really brings out the green in my eyes.
- How do you keep your skin oil-free throughout the day? Compared to when I was in high school, my skin isn’t extremely oily anymore. Back in the day, I used to use oil blotting paper throughout the day (try these charcoal blotting pads!) And leave them in my purse. I’ve also tried blotting powder in the past that I’d leave in my purse as well (try this one!). Both worked great for me, but I haven’t used anything in a long time since my skin isn’t as oily!
- What are your holy grail skincare products? Right now, my Joanna Vargas skincare products mentioned above for exfoliating, cleansing and hydrating, along with Glossier’s Mask Duo that includes the Mega Greens Galaxy Pack (Made with a gentle white kaolin clay base, plus vitamin-rich beauty foods—think of it as a juice cleanse for your face.) followed by the Moisturizing Moon Mask (formulated with honey, aloe, and plant-based squalane to plump skin up with moisture and restore elasticity.) Most days I just use my Joanna Vargas products, 2-3 days of the week I use all of them. This is what it looks like
Step 1: Wet face, apply Joanna Vargas Vitamin C Face Wash and wash off
Step 2: Apply Joanna Vargas exfoliating mask and rinse off
Step 3: Apply Glossier’s Mega Greens Galaxy mask for 20 minutes and rinse off
Step 4: Apply Glossier’s Moisturizing Moon mask for 20 minutes and rinse off
Step 5: Apply Joanna Vargas Rejuvenating Serum and leave on skin
- What’s your favorite concealer? Mostly for under-eye area. I’ve tried a lot of under eye concealers since I have very dark circles. My mom’s whole side of the family has very dark under-eye circles, so I think it’s genetics, but recently I’ve been using It Cosmetics “Bye Bye Under Eye Full Coverage Anti-Aging Concealer”. It doesn’t get cakey or separate on my skin throughout the day. It glides on smooth, stays in place, and actually covers up my dark circles. I use the color 21.5 “Medium Nude”.
- What is your favorite eye shadow palette? I don’t have a specific eyeshadow palette that I use, but I have one eyeshadow that I use pretty much everyday. It’s the MAC eyeshadow called “Brown Script”. I use it in the crease of my eyelid, and it really brings out the green in my eyes!
- How to keep eyebrows tame? Glossier’s “Boy Brow”! It thickens, fills in and grooms brows into place. They have a few different colors to choose from depending on your hair color.
- Have you ever had botox or fillers? I haven’t had any botox, fillers or any kind of plastic surgery, but I’m not against getting some in the future if I feel like I want them! A lot of my friends get botox and fillers as “preventative” measures for fine lines and wrinkles.
- What is your Beauty pampering routine? I love getting my nails done with gel polishes (regular paint chips too easily and I’ve found the powder dips to be too intense for me and ruined my nails), or getting a facial/massage. My favorite nail colors at the moment are from O.P.I.: Funny Bunny (a soft white) and Coconuts over OPI (taupe color). I’m one happy lady if my nails look nice and I’ve had some type of massage!
Thank you for sending in all of your beauty related questions! Hopefully you found this post helpful in answering any skincare, makeup or hair related questions. I’ll be posting Part 2 next week to answer the rest of the questions you had!