I wanted to share a quick post about how to create the best home gym and my must-have equipment so that you can get your workouts in at-home too! So many of us have a lot on our plates with really full schedules, so fitting in a quick workout at home is a lot easier when you have the right equipment! Most of you know I love working out at home or outside, so the below list is everything I have, use, and recommend to get in an amazing workout in your home gym. I do a lot of resistance training which stresses your muscles to help them grow (not bulk up- just get more toned). It can increase your resting metabolic rate, decrease body fat, and enhance muscle tone. It’s also really important to do as you age because it helps with loss of muscle mass and strength so that you don’t get injured as easily!
1. Hand Weights / Dumbbells
I have hand weights / dumbbells that range from 3lb-15lb. These work so well for me during my workouts, especially during leg exercises. Our legs are used to carrying around our bodies all day long, so if you want to start toning up and seeing some definition then add in weights to your workouts! From lunges, to squats, to ab workouts like Russian twists, they’re an essential!
2. Ankle weights
I love ankle weights! The ones I have are 1.5lbs and 3.5lbs each. Another staple in my routines. I always add “resistance” to my workouts wherever I can. When doing some ab workouts, such as a bicycle crunch, mountain climbers, or a straight leg raise, I love to wear ankle weights. I also use them to do other workouts like working my legs and glutes. For example, jumping lunges with ankle weights or jumping rope with ankle weights!
3. Resistance Bands
I wasn’t sure if I really needed a workout bench when I first setup my at-home gym, but it’s an absolute staple for me! I use it for every single workout. From step ups with hand weights, to hip raises and scissor workouts for your abs. A workout bench is a must-have!
I love my rebounder. It’s perfect for a quick cardio session while wearing ankle weights and to help drain the lymphatic system. That being said, I don’t use it every single day, although it is incredible and is highly recommended to help reduce cellulite!
A few rebounder benefits:
– Boosts lymphatic drainage and immune function
– Great for skeletal system and increasing bone mass
– Helps improve digestion
– More than twice as effective as running without the extra stress on the ankles and knees
– Increases endurance on a cellular level by stimulating mitochondrial production (these are responsible for cell energy)
– Helps improve balance by stimulating the vestibule in the middle ear
– Helps improve the effects of other exercise- one study found that those who rebounded for 30 seconds between weight lifting sets saw 25% more improvement after 12 weeks than those who did not.
– Rebounding helps circulate oxygen throughout the body to increase energy.
– Rebounding is a whole body exercise that improves muscle tone throughout the body.
– Some sources claim that the unique motion of rebounding can also help support the thyroid and adrenals.
I use these in a lot of my workouts! For example, hold a plank position with both feet on gliders, then pull your legs in while straight (kind of like a tuck jump but on the floor). This targets your abs and is killer! There are also a lot of leg exercises you can do as well. I don’t use gliders maybe once or twice a week in my workouts, but they’re perfect to have for traveling!
7. Foam roller
So painful but so needed haha! At night before bed I roll out my muscles with my foam roller. It’s so important for recovery!
Benefits of foam rolling:
- Prevent injury
- Reduce exercise related soreness
- Stress reduction
- Better circulation
- Improved flexibility and increased joint range of motion
This one is kinda obvious, but I have 2 yoga mats that I use for a softer surface during my workouts.
This isn’t a necessity, but I work from home and love walking while I work on my computer. I also use it to fit in quick tabata sprints and runs throughout the day. Getting in my steps is super important since the alternative would be me sitting all day at the computer. I have this nordic track treadmill and love it!
P.S. if you haven’t signed up for my free health + fitness guides, you can head here to check it out!